Monday, February 22, 2010

Canarsie (Brooklyn) Friends...


... Canarsie (Brooklyn) was the greatest place to grow up in my opinion. I know many people may also feel the same way about their neighborhood as well. However, I can only speak for my neighborhood.

... I lived in Canarsie in the 60's, 70's and 80's. My parents and my sister moved out in 1984. I stayed an extra year and moved out in 1985. I was broken hearted when my family moved out. My mom and dad were in a very bad car accident in the early 80's. They both ended up retired and on disability.

... Since my parents were retired, they felt they could live anywhere. My sister and I had already graduated Canarsie HS by 1985. My parents chose Rockland County, NY. They chose Rockland because some of my other relatives had moved there first. My parents wanted the family to live nearby.

... Well... its been about 25 years later and I found so many of my friends thanks to "Facebook". I had kept in touch with a small number of my close friends, however, I had lost contact with the 100's of friends I went to school with and used to see hanging around the neighborhood.

... I never realized until Facebook that us Canarsiens had such a special and great bond. Sometimes its not until we grow up and mature that we realize what we really had. I really wish everyone from Canarsie would have moved to the same neighborhood. ( I personally like the Jersey Shore). I hope one day many of us retire in Florida and see each other all the time... :-)

... I am also very thankful that through Facebook, so many of us can keep in touch and have our Canarsie reunions throughout the year. I'm amazed by the love & joy I see on facebook and at all the Canarsie reunions. It is so special. Many people cannot understand it. I speak with people from other towns all around the tri-state area and they do not have what us Canarsiens have.

... I want to thank Canarsie and all my friends for helping me battle my cancer (Leukemia) these past few years. Finding my youth all over again on Facebook has really given me a strength and joy that is better than "Medicine". I am very thankful to God for everyone's love, thoughts and support.

... I will continue to fight this ugly cancer with my family and friends behind me. Its a tough battle and I hope to live as long as possible with this deadly type of Leukemia. Its been over 3 years with this Leukemia and I'm still having problems. However... with God, my family & friends.... all things are possible. Thank you everyone. I love you all.... :-)



... P.S. The picture above is of the Canarsie Theater on Avenue "L". I loved that place growing up... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment