Sunday, October 18, 2009

We had to sell the Family business...


... In May of 2008, we had to sell the family business after 24 years. The business was called "Tanglewood Deli". I wasn't able to work after I was diagnosed with cancer (Leukemia). I had spent almost 5 months in the hospital when I got sick. My father was 67 years old when I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.(PH+)

... Our family owned a very successful Deli/Grocery store in Westchester County. We had about 20 employees working for us. We had bought the business when I was 21 years old. I gave that deli the best years of my life. It broke my heart to have to sell our business.

... My dad came to my house one day and asked me to sell the business when I was home from the hospital. My dad was covering for me at the deli and working about 60 hours a week while I was sick. My dad was 67 years old and it was hard for him to be on his feet for so many hours a week. My dad used to wake up every morning at about 3:15am and then get home at 4pm when he worked. That was a long day for him. My dad was also getting stressed out trying to run such a busy deli without me.

... As much as I agreed with my dad that the business had to be sold, it just really hurt me. I had always planned on passing the family business down to either both my sons or at least one of them. It was such a great business. It was one of the busiest deli's around. We were truly blessed with that store.

... I cried the day we sold the deli on May 1st, 2008. It was a very sad day for me. I was so upset that this ugly cancer could force me to sell the business. However... I then began to realize how blessed I was to be alive. The majority of people with my type of Leukemia have either died or are not doing that well. I realized that everything happens for a reason and I just had to sell the deli.

... Once i accepted the fact that the deli had to be sold, I felt better. Its not until we accept certain situations in life that we can begin to heal. My main focus on life is now to continue to love and enjoy my life, family and friends as much as possible until I take my last breath. I'm not out of the woods yet with this Leukemia and I still only have about a 35% chance to live 10 years. I will stay positive and continue to hope and pray to live a long life. As I have said before... I hope I live to see my grandchildren.

... If I gain most of my strength back and my immune system returns, I would like to open a business again. This time I may open up an Italian restaurant.

... You're all invited to the grand opening. Dinner and drinks are on me. We'll have Canarsie (Brooklyn) reunions there once a month. My lifetime friends, family and I will be in touch and always see each other till death due us part...... Buon Appetito.... :-)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome series of blogs. I've been reading them every week from the very begining. God Bless You Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Thank you Lou. God bless you too...

    ReplyDelete