Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We love NYC & I miss Canarsie...


... We came home from our little honeymoon on October 2nd, 2007 and we talked about how much we enjoyed NYC. We stayed local for our honeymoon because I am still battling Leukemia and have been very weak. We stayed in the Times Square area. It's one of our favorite spots. There is so much to see and do. We sometimes think about moving to NYC after all the kids are grown. (if we don't move to the Jersey Shore). We love being able to walk everywhere. Its nice not having to jump in a car to go everywhere. It reminds me of my Canarsie (Brooklyn) days.

... Up here in the suburbs, it seems you need a car for everything. If I need milk in the suburbs, I need the car, ....if I need to go to the dentist, I need the car, ......if I want to go to a movie, I need the car, ....if i want to go to McDonald's, I need the car.... and so on..... I think you all understand what I'm saying. Also, I never heard of play dates in my life until I moved up here. In my Canarsie (Brooklyn) days, us kids walked everywhere. We hardly bothered our parents for anything. I even had a paper route (The Canarsie Courier) at 8 years old.

... I use to ride my bike at 8 years old to the Canarsie train station and sell the papers to everyone getting off the "L" train at 6pm. The station was about 9 blocks from my house. Today's 8 year olds need a car ride to go 1 block on a play date. I walked to Seaview Park and played with my friends at 8 years old. I use to walk to the Canarsie Pier to go fishing and crabing at 10 years old. No one drove me around my own neighborhood when I was a kid.

... I know times have changed and its more dangerous today then it was back then. My point is, we were much more independent in the old days than kids are today. I wish my kids could have grown up in Canarsie as I did ( with all the great people that lived there). I miss the good old Canarsie days.

... Anyway... I do miss walking everywhere to get to where I need to go. It is also good exercise. NYC living is sounding better and better as I am writing this post on my blog. We'll have to wait and make a final decision after all the kids are grown up on where to move to. We have about 6 years to decide.....
... P.S. In Canarsie, my friends and I had to walk to school in rain, snow or sleet. No yellow buses picked us up and our parents didn't drive us. (and guess what.... we loved it !!! )...

... I'll see you all at my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment