Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back to the Emergency room....


...After only being discharged two days earlier, I woke up at about 2am with sharp, knife pains in my lower back. It was the most pain i ever had in my life. I fell to the floor in the bathroom and screamed for Isabel to wake up and drive me to the Emergency room at NY Presbyterian. We first had to call my mom at 2am to come over and watch Isabel's son at our home. Isabel's son, Nico, was only 9 at the time.
...As Isabel and I were in the car driving to NYC at about 2:30 in the morning, I began screaming from the pain. I told Isabel i was about to passout.... Isabel yelled out: please don't pass out, I don't know how to get to the hospital in the dark. I ended up being able to stay up and screamed all the way to the hospital.

...We were in the Emergency room for 13 hours and i had so many tests done...however...they could not find where the pain was coming from. I was put on pain killers (oxycontin) and readmitted to the hospital. After a few more days of testing, they found the problem. I had a Fatal bloodclot in my right lung. My right lung by then had also partly collapsed and my right lung filled with blood. I was spitting up blood for the next 2 days.

...I had to begin to go on Lovenox everyday. Lovenox is a blood thinner used to help the bloodclot. It was injected in me twice a day by needles in either my stomach, back of my arms or legs. The Doctors believe the Bloodclot was probably caused by all the Chemo. I was just happy that they finally found out where the pain was coming from. A bloodclot in the lung is fatal and a person can die at any minute.

...I was then discharged again from the hospital on December 23rd, 2006. I was so happy to be able to spend Christmas with the family. I had lost about 40 pounds at this time and was looking forward to some good home cooked meals from my mom & Isabel. I was told i could stay home until January 18th, 2007. I then had to go back to the Hospital and get ready for the Bone Marrow Transplant...
...My next blog will talk about "The Proposal" (sounds like a movie :-)....
I had my brother-in-law pick me up an engagement ring while i was in the hospital.... I will share the story in my next blog.... Have a great day everyone....
...Note: The picture above is Isabel & her son Nicolas (Nico) at the Monmouth Mall...

2 comments:

  1. You were so lucky to have survived the blood clot in your lung...every blog I read, i can't believe the pain and agony you went through!!
    Ann Marie Giuffre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is quite compelling, Lorenzo, and it makes me want to read more!! Can't wait to hear about the proposal! Woohoooo!

    ReplyDelete