Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Friend Debbie's last post before she died...


... This is my friend Debbie's last post before she died. Debbie died May 18th, 2009. Debbie had the same rare and deadly type of Leukemia as me. Debbie was a few years younger than me. She died within 5 years of being diagnosed. I wanted to post it for all to see and I hope you really appreciate your lives.
... Here it goes :

... Deb's Last Blog Post:

I am writing this blog post to say a more proper goodbye to all the interweb peoples who have helped me keep it together. Who have given so much support to me through the years. Who are my friends and family. Who were strangers who became friends.
In my blog, I often give assignments for people to do. Here's the ones that are on my mind....

1. Appreciate everything. Even stupid stuff. Since I've been sick, I've communicated with a number of service members abroad. We understand each other well because we both know how much we miss just the normal stuff that most people take for granted. Driving. Driving in traffic. Complaining about stupid stuff is for people who have no idea how good they have it.

2. Be a force for good. There's enough bad stuff in the world without adding to it. Forgive people and leave grudges for others. Do kind things just because. Figure out what you are good at and do good with it.

3. Seek a higher power. I believe Jesus Christ is my savior and this gives me comfort. As it takes faith to believe, it takes faith not to believe. I believe God doesn't want us to live our lives on an island, and that finding a community of faith that is uplifting and supportive to you can make a huge difference in your life. If you have that cool. If you don't, consider it. But don't wait until you are looking death in the eye because you will miss out on some neat things.

4. If you have kids, squeeze them. And then squeeze them again. Give yourself a pat on the back if you are responsible and work hard to give your children a good life and better opportunities. Sometimes you don't give yourself enough credit. If you have people in your life that you love, tell them that. Often. Don't save your I love you's for a rainy day.

5. Take care of yourself. I understand more than most that there are injuries and illnesses that you can't prevent by eating well and moving, but that doesn't mean you should be fatalistic. Nothing like being hooked up to a respirator to make you appreciate just getting going, doing and breathing. Treat yourself at least as well as you treat your car--you put the right type of fuel in your car and you drive it safely most of the time--you are more important than a car so treat yourself that way.

6. Enjoy life. Life is meant to be enjoyed, and as long as it isn't hurting yourself or others, go for it. Bring joy to others. Find passions in your life that make you want to get out of bed in the morning, unless your passion is sleeping and then go ahead and sleep in.

7. Be open to new things. Listen. Doesn't mean you have to change your mind, but who knows, you might learn something.

8. Support sensible health insurance reform. I'm not sure what that ends up looking like, but injuries and illnesses shouldn't fate people into a life of insurmountable debt and bill collectors. I spent the last healthy months of my pre-hospital stay, worried and scrambling to find insurance because my COBRA insurance ran out. Patients should be able to focus on getting better and not crushingly large mountains of papers telling them that their credit is forever screwed.

9. Ask for help. This is a hard assignment. For a lot of people, it isn't easy to ask for help when you need it. But what I've discovered is that it is a part of the human condition for people to want to help those in need. People enjoy helping others. Sometimes you get help where you don't really expect it. So if you need help with something, go to the appropriate people and get it.
I sometimes think that the bad stuff that happens in life is one of the few things that bring people together. It still sucks, but maybe it sucks a little less.
There are too many people to thank for the help they gave me and my family over these difficult times. I would list you individually but am afraid I would leave someone important out. My last days have not been easy at all, but it has been a great comfort to know about all those who gave me prayers and love.
In my life, I've looked for love in a lot of wrong places, and as I die, it is nice to know I am surrounded by love.

10. Last assignment. There is no last assignment. You create your own assignments every day. Choose wisely.
However, my last assignment that I give to you is to take care of my 9 year old daughter Zoe the best you can. I love Zkat from infinity and beyond. I just am trying my hardest with what I can do from this stinkin bed to help her. I know she will be taken good care of in a house full of love, but I feel pain that I can't be physically with her any more to prepare her for a happy, long and healthy life.

... God Bless You Debbie.... Rest in Peace... Your friend... Larry

7 comments:

  1. I loved the Debutaunt too and think of her everyday. I know she is pain free now and with God. I found your blog through hers and am praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... Thank you Lisa. Debbie was a special person. She had reached out to me after i was diagnosed. I miss her.
    .... I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving.... God bless you... Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Very intense. Thanks for posting this, Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was amazing...she was 100% right about everything and very wise. So sad she was sick and couldn't watch her daughter grow up, but it seems like she was at peace in the end. Nice of you to post this, Larry and so very sorry for the loss of your friend, Debbie. Stay strong, we all care about you xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. She really touched me. I'm going to print out her post. The things she talks about are the things we should think about all the time and like she said and we all know.... we take people and life for granted. Every now and then we need to be reminded. Larry I remember you from school, I didn't "know" you but knew you were this rediculously handsome guy. LOL I formaly met you a year ago. We became friends on FB, I look forward to your posts whenever I come on because you inspire me. With your thoughts you are a very giving person. You make people laugh,smile,cry and laugh again. You make people think. I am grateful to have you as a friend and look forward to seeing you at the next Canarsie reunion !!! How U doin ? Hope great !!! Love Maritza =) Debbie's words will be put up where I can see them and be reminded. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. larry,
    i am sure she was an amazing person. I have never meet her but i understanding her will and desire to life life to the wish I had the opportunity to have meet her, but I just did thru her last words so thnak you for introducing me to her and one day we will all be blessed to meet her in heaven.

    God bless you debbie and we will all see you on our own cloud.

    margie aponte

    ReplyDelete