Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I went for my monthly bloodwork & physical...


... Today I went to N.Y. Presbyterian Hospital for my blood work and physical. I usually go at least once a month. They do whats called a CBC. That stands for Complete Blood Count. A CBC is a common blood test that evaluates the three major types of cells in the blood: Red blood cells, White blood cells, and Platelets.

... A CBC may be ordered as part of a routine checkup, or if someone has been feeling very tired for a while, or seems to have an infection, or had/has unexplained bruising or bleeding. This blood test is done by drawing blood from your arm. (as pictured above).

... Red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
... White blood cells help the body fight infections.
... Platelets play an important role in blood clotting and the prevention of bleeding.

... The CBC can also test for loss of blood, abnormalities in the production or destruction of blood cells, acute and chronic infections, allergies, and problems with blood clotting.

... My blood work came back with some minor issues today. I am still very anemic, my red blood cells are too low, and I'm still having some issues with my liver. My immune system is still very weak and I have to keep away from sick people. The swine flu can kill me because of my compromised immune system.

... However... overall I am very content with my results today. I'm so thankful to still be alive after only having about a 20-25% chance to live two years. Because of that, not much worries or scares me.

... I hope you have found this post educational and may have learned a little more about our bodies. See you at the next post... :-)
... How u doin !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment