Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Nurses & The Volunteers...


...I'd like to dedicate this post to all the wonderful Nurses & Volunteers at NY Presbyterian Hospital. I am very grateful for all the help, patience, love, time, expertise and "Foot Massages". Yes, i said foot massages. I began a new trend at that hospital. The volunteers would come into my room everyday and ask what they could do for me. The volunteers would ask if i wanted to play cards, board games or just talk. I would usually say no thank you.

Then one day, i asked the supervisor (her name was Trish) if the volunteers could give me a foot massage everyday. Trish never had that request before. After some thought, Trish (the volunteer supervisor) said it would be okay as long as they wore gloves. I said gloves would be fine and i supplied the moisturiser.

...Almost everyday, a different volunteer would come in my room and give me a 20-30 minute foot massage. It felt so good. I felt that if i was going to suffer and possibly die, i would have some joy while i was going through it.

...All the nurses were great, except one. I will not mention her name (even though i should). One night i felt so sick, i went to hold that nurses' arm and she yelled at me not to touch her. I told her that she was in the wrong profession. I asked her how she could be so cruel to a patient that might be dying. I told her i wasn't contagious. I was just feeling very sick and scared at that moment. I complained to the supervisor and never had that nurse again.

...Just for the record, some of my nurses were men. I found that hard to understand at first. Remember, I'm from Brooklyn, i never heard of any guy from Brooklyn being a nurse when i lived there. If i told my friends in Brooklyn i wanted to be a nurse (Fugettaboutit...) i would have gotten a real Brooklyn beaten. However, the male nurses were just as good as the female nurses.

...So again... My sincere heartfelt thanks to all the wonderful nurses and volunteers (except this one girl nurse) for everything they did for me.
God Bless You All.....

...Anyone who has some extra time should really think about volunteering. I was truly blessed by them. There's a special, beautiful inner joy that comes from volunteering.
Remember, God said: "It is more blessed to give than to receive".

...In my next post i will talk about not being able to shave or shower for a few months. (I didn't smell). I'll explain in my next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment