Monday, August 10, 2009

Post Stem Cell Transplant...


... I woke up feeling lifeless from my Stem Cell Transplant. I was so weak and drained. My blood counts were very poor and they told me it would take a very long time to get my blood counts up.

...For example: My white blood count was down to 300. My average white blood count before i was diagnosed was around 9000. The White Blood Cells (WBC'S) are important because they are cells of the immune system defending the body against both infectious diseases and foreign materials.

...The Doctor's let me know that my body might not even be able to fight off a cold or sore throat. Since i had a very, very poor immune system, my body could not fight for me. I was put in an isolation room. Everyone was suppose to always put on gloves, a gown and a mask before they entered my room.

... There were no regular rooms left on the Leukemia floor, i ended up getting a suite on that floor for no extra charge. It really was a nice room. It was about 400 square feet and had windows all around it. I had the corner unit and had a great view of the East river. I was told that John Gotti Sr.'s wife was at my hospital around the same time as me for some type of surgery and also had a suite. I felt important.

... As the days went on after my transplant, i continued to get weaker & weaker. I could hardly eat and was losing more weight. All i could eat was graham crackers with jelly and chicken broth with some rice. The Chemo & Radiation had temporarily destroyed my taste buds. Everything tasted like metal to me.

...People really need to appreciate being able to taste and enjoy food. Healthy people take so much for granted. Anyone of us can get sick at anytime and have our world turned upside down. Lets all not sweat the small stuff and enjoy our life & be thankful for our health. I hear so many people complaining about non-sense.

... I will continue to discuss what went on the next 6 weeks while i stayed in isolation in my next post. I developed vertigo and had some scary hallucinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment