Friday, September 25, 2009

In Memory of my Friends...


... I'd like to dedicate this post to my 3 friends who passed away. I met these 3 guys during my 5 month stay at the hospital. Two of my friends had the same exact type of Leukemia as me. (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia with Philadelphia Chromosome Positive).

...As i had mentioned before, this type of Leukemia is one of the deadliest forms of cancer. It only has about a 20-25% chance of a 2 year survival and then a 30-35% chance of a 5 year survival. My other friend who passed away had Hodgkins Lymphoma. (which is also a form of blood cancer).

... Their names were Tommy, Russell and Matthew. My closest friend was Matthew. He was from Staten Island. Matthew was only 35 years old when i met him. He was only married a few months when he was diagnosed with Leukemia. We stayed on the same floor in the hospital during our battle with Leukemia. We would talk and walk around the 10th floor all the time. We always checked on each other and developed a special bond.

... Matthew and his wife came to visit me in my room when i had first gotten admitted to the hospital. They were so full of hope and encouragement. They gave me strength and energy. I'm thankful for that. Matthew had been admitted about 4 months before me. Matthew was in remission when i met him. He was waiting to find a match for a Bone Marrow transplant. His sibling did not match.

...My mom became good friends with Matthew's mom. They would always see each other at the hospital. Matt's mom and wife are beautiful people. Matthew was also a beautiful person. We talked about always being friends after we both left the hospital.

... Matthew passed away on July 29th, 2007. He was only 36. When the doctors told me about Matthew dying, I cried so much. It was personal to me. He was a special guy. I still hurt over Matthew's death. I miss you buddy. I'll never forget you...

...Tommy and Russell also passed away. I'm not sure when. Russell was from NYC and Tommy was from New Jersey. The 4 of us were on the 10th floor battling cancer together. I was the oldest.

... Why did they die and not me ? Will i die next ? No one knows the answers to these questions. Only God knows the beginning to the end. All I know is this, I am very blessed and thankful to be alive. I cried out to God all the time while i was in the hospital. I wanted to live to see my kids become independent. I hope i live to see my grandchildren one day. I'm doing better... however.. I'm not out of the woods.

... I will enjoy my life as much as possible until i take my last breath. I will love my family and friends. I will not take anything for granted. I will be thankful to God for all that i have. I hope you will all do the same and not wait to get sick or cancer before you feel the same way.

... So i say to my friends who passed away... I will always remember you guys. I don't know why I am here and you are not. Rest in peace my friends. May God bless you & your families....

No comments:

Post a Comment